If you are considering selling your home in Bluffton, Beaufort, or Hilton Head Island, you may have also considered forgoing a Bluffton Realtor and selling it yourself. While it may sound like a good idea to save a little bit of money on Realtor commissions, just be sure you are aware of everything you are getting in to.
Things such as paperwork, laws, and other legal requirements for homes for sale in Bluffton and homes for sale on Hilton Head Island can be quite mind boggling for those who don’t deal with it on a regular basis and can cost thousands of dollars if care is not taken. Although there can be some advantages to a “For Sale by Owner” (FSBO) situation, there are also risks that a seller (and buyer) should be aware of.
Pros of For Sale by Owner Homes
- No Realtor Commission – The commission for a Bluffton Realtor is typically 4 to 6% of the sale price of the home. Those who choose to do a FSBO can keep this money to use for other things they will need for the FSBO of their home.
- Friendly Buyer – If you are considering selling your home for sale in Bluffton to a friend or relative, a FSBO situation can help you avoid the real estate agents’ fees, so that the sellers can afford to offer the home at a lesser price to their friend or family and still make a decent profit.
- No Stress Home Showing – Not having a real estate agent allows you to have complete control over the showing of your home and lets you work around your schedule with no stress of pressing agents with clients on a deadline.
Cons of For Sale by Owner Homes
- Additional Costs – There are many costs that a seller may not be aware of that add up quickly. First and foremost, they need to pay a for a professional home inspection report to avoid the risk of accusations that they have not properly disclosed all the problems with the home and an expensive lawsuit that can follow. There is also the cost of advertising, landscaping, staging, and photography. Other costs include home appraisal and attorney fees, as well as services from title and escrow companies.
- It is Stressful! – Sellers and buyers can get overwhelmed by all of the many details that are involved in the transaction of selling/buying a home. For sellers who are emotionally attached to a home, it can be especially hard to maintain a professional stance during the selling process. When you have a Bluffton Realtor involved in the negotiation, they can relieve the burden and stress of negotiation and tiresome paperwork involved.
- Welcome to Your New Part Time Job – Selling a house is a lot of work! There is a reason why Bluffton Realtors get paid a commission. The sale of your Bluffton or Hilton Head Island home requires professionalism, dedication, and lots of time! At first it may seem easy, but when you add the demands of selling your home to your day job and demanding family schedule, it may add up to more than you can reasonably take on.
The Dufrene Group in Bluffton, SC Can Sell Your Home
The Dufrene Group is here to help you sell your Bluffton, Beaufort, or Hilton Head Island Home for the most money in the least amount of time possible. Click here for a FREE home evaluation so we can get your home listed and SOLD!