Holiday spending can really take a toll on our wallets, so it’s nice to know that some of the best things in life in the SC Low Country are FREE! We love living in the Hilton Head and Bluffton area and the holidays are so much better at the beach! Here are some of the amazing no-cost activities that are planned for the Hilton Head Island and Bluffton area!
Family Friendly Holiday Festivities
- Holiday Lights at Shelter Cove Towne Centre – Thru December 31 – Enjoy lights and special events at Shelter Cove throughout the season until December 31.
- Bluffton Christmas Parade – December 1 – The Annual Town of Bluffton Christmas Parade begins at 10 a.m. Saturday December 1st – Rain or shine in downtown Bluffton! The parade will start at the corner of Bridge and Pritchard Streets.
- Winter Wonderland Festival – December 7 – The Winter Wonderland Festival will be held at Shelter Cove Community Park on Friday, Dec. 7, 2018 from 4-8 p.m. There will be hayrides, carnival games, petting zoo, children’s parade, Mr. & Mrs. Claus, and more!
- Harbour Town Lights – Throughout December – Enjoy the lights! Stroll along the Harbour and enjoy the illuminated seasonal figures with the centerpiece of the display being a towering Christmas tree. Harbour Town is the perfect place to be this holiday season with live entertainment and activities.
- New Year’s Celebration –December 31 – Enjoy a festive New Year’s Eve golf ball drop from the top of the Harbour Town Lighthouse! Enjoy food, fun, entertainment and live music throughout Harbour Town, then count down the ball drop as we welcome the new year! There will be two drops: 7pm and midnight.
The team at the Dufrene Group wants to wish you and yours a wonderful holiday season! We are always here to help you find the perfect vacation house, oceanside condo, or permanent home in our beautiful area! Our team can check to see if you are Santa’s “Good List” and help you get qualified for a mortgage today! Nothing says Merry Christmas like a home for the holidays!
Just because we are a beach town doesn’t mean we don’t know how to celebrate the winter holidays! If you are lucky enough to be spending Thanksgiving on Hilton Head Island or across the bridge in beautiful Bluffton, you are in for a magical holiday in the SC Low Country. In fact, you might enjoy yourself so much that you decide you just must look at Bluffton homes for sale and Hilton Head Island homes for sale, so you can call beautiful area home.
Here are some of the festivities planned for Thanksgiving on Hilton Head Island and Bluffton, SC!
Turkey Trot – November 22 – Start Thanksgiving off right with your family at the 30th annual Turkey Trot. This family-oriented event invites people of all ages to participate in their “Fun Walk,” 5K and 10K races. The fun kicks off early and ends with a parking lot party, all of which is hosted by Island Recreation Association with help from Palmetto Running Company benefits the Island Recreation Association’s scholarship fund.
Community Thanksgiving Dinner – Thanksgiving Day on Hilton Head Island need not be a lonely day for anyone! All are welcome to share turkey, dressing and all the trimmings at a free dinner held at Hudson’s Seafood House on the Docks. This event is organized by St. Andrew By-The-Sea United Methodist Church and Hudson’s Seafood House on the Docks. Donations in the true spirit of Thanksgiving are greatly appreciated and will benefit The Deep Well Project and Bluffton Self Help.
Community Christmas Tree Lighting – November 24 – Santa, Mrs. Claus and their trusty reindeer Rudolph will help kick off the holiday season at the Town’s official Christmas Tree Lighting on the Arts Center festival grounds. Enjoy Christmas carols, holiday crafts, yummy treats and musical performances. This family friendly community festival is an Island tradition! Free and open to the public – on the Arts Center festival grounds!
The Dufrene Group Can Help You Call the SC Low Country Home
If you are ready to own a home in our little piece of paradise, the Dufrene Group can help. We are ready to show you homes for sale in Bluffton and homes for sale on Hilton Head Island today! Check out the available homes for sale here then contact us to set a time to see your favorite homes.
The holiday season is almost here and if you haven’t already, it is time to start thinking about holiday gifts for those on your list. One of the (many) perks of living in a small community like Bluffton, SC is the abundance of local stores and merchants who offer unique charm, character and…. gifts during the holiday season. Shopping at locally owned shops and restaurants is a great way to help our community thrive and get the special people in your life some wonderful Low Country gifts. As a Realtor in Bluffton, we are always looking for unique gifts for our clients, and we love supporting our local businesses!
Check out these fun stores in the Bluffton community and keep them in mind for Thanksgiving hostess gifts and Christmas gift giving!
- Bluffton General Store – Fresh cut bouquets, home accessories, decor, jewelry, gifts, candles, and local art are just a few of the many things you will find at this Bluffton store in Old Town. Everything you need for your Low Country home or office…and amazing gifts for everyone on your list!
- The Scottish Mill Shop – This fun shop offers a wide selection British food and products, jewelry, cashmere and wool Scottish knit sweaters, blankets and capes from Ireland and the U.K. as well as many Scottish, Tartan and Clan related items. The perfect place for a great gift or something to remind a European friend of home.
- Markel’s – Started in 1997 as a shop for cards, candies, and home accessories, Markel’s specializes in providing Bluffton with the best selection of holiday and seasonal gifts, as well as unique, handcrafted decorations to help celebrate any occasion. And of course, no visit to Markel’s is complete without their gorgeous handmade bows! Shopping tip – Markel’s offers free custom gift wrapping with every purchase, complete with one of their signature bows!
- Eggs ‘N’ Tricities – A staple of Old Town Bluffton for over 25 years, there’s a little something for everyone at this fun shop. They sell clothing for everyone from the hip, young chicks to mature hens, offer sought after jewelry everyone in Bluffton MUST have, and everything from inexpensive and fun to one-of-a-kind, statement pieces. There are some fabulous gifts at Eggs ‘N’ Tricities including art work by local artist, Margaret Golson Pearman that feature oysters, crabs and other Lowcountry-inspired subjects that are quite simply divine!
The Dufrene Group Real Estate Team in Bluffton, SC – For Home Buyers and Home Sellers
If you’d like to be a part of our wonderful community in Bluffton, SC, we’d love to have you! Contact the Dufrene Group today to see the available homes for sale in Bluffton, homes for sale on Hilton Head Island, or homes for sale in Beaufort, to find a new home in the beautiful SC Low Country.
If you are considering selling your home in Bluffton, Beaufort, or Hilton Head Island, you may have also considered forgoing a Bluffton Realtor and selling it yourself. While it may sound like a good idea to save a little bit of money on Realtor commissions, just be sure you are aware of everything you are getting in to.
Things such as paperwork, laws, and other legal requirements for homes for sale in Bluffton and homes for sale on Hilton Head Island can be quite mind boggling for those who don’t deal with it on a regular basis and can cost thousands of dollars if care is not taken. Although there can be some advantages to a “For Sale by Owner” (FSBO) situation, there are also risks that a seller (and buyer) should be aware of.
Pros of For Sale by Owner Homes
- No Realtor Commission – The commission for a Bluffton Realtor is typically 4 to 6% of the sale price of the home. Those who choose to do a FSBO can keep this money to use for other things they will need for the FSBO of their home.
- Friendly Buyer – If you are considering selling your home for sale in Bluffton to a friend or relative, a FSBO situation can help you avoid the real estate agents’ fees, so that the sellers can afford to offer the home at a lesser price to their friend or family and still make a decent profit.
- No Stress Home Showing – Not having a real estate agent allows you to have complete control over the showing of your home and lets you work around your schedule with no stress of pressing agents with clients on a deadline.
Cons of For Sale by Owner Homes
- Additional Costs – There are many costs that a seller may not be aware of that add up quickly. First and foremost, they need to pay a for a professional home inspection report to avoid the risk of accusations that they have not properly disclosed all the problems with the home and an expensive lawsuit that can follow. There is also the cost of advertising, landscaping, staging, and photography. Other costs include home appraisal and attorney fees, as well as services from title and escrow companies.
- It is Stressful! – Sellers and buyers can get overwhelmed by all of the many details that are involved in the transaction of selling/buying a home. For sellers who are emotionally attached to a home, it can be especially hard to maintain a professional stance during the selling process. When you have a Bluffton Realtor involved in the negotiation, they can relieve the burden and stress of negotiation and tiresome paperwork involved.
- Welcome to Your New Part Time Job – Selling a house is a lot of work! There is a reason why Bluffton Realtors get paid a commission. The sale of your Bluffton or Hilton Head Island home requires professionalism, dedication, and lots of time! At first it may seem easy, but when you add the demands of selling your home to your day job and demanding family schedule, it may add up to more than you can reasonably take on.
The Dufrene Group in Bluffton, SC Can Sell Your Home
The Dufrene Group is here to help you sell your Bluffton, Beaufort, or Hilton Head Island Home for the most money in the least amount of time possible. Click here for a FREE home evaluation so we can get your home listed and SOLD!
The home buying process is not necessarily a simple one. A lot of things are dependent on each other for everything to go well. Stress levels are high and first time homebuyers are anxious. It really can be an enjoyable experience though, if you work with the right Realtor in Bluffton. An experienced Bluffton Realtor can negotiate a great deal on your dream home and help you along the way with any tips, advice, and knowledge to make your Bluffton home purchase as smooth as possible.
Here are some of the common mistakes first time homebuyers make and advice on how to avoid them from Bluffton Realtor Anthony Dufrene of the Dufrene Group in Bluffton, SC.
Common Mistakes that First-time Homebuyers Make
- Failing to Get the Home Inspected – Having a home inspection for a property you are considering can potentially save you thousands of dollars in the future. Paying the cost of a home inspection now, which is around $350-$500, is pennies compared to potential issues the home may have such as problems with the foundation, plumbing, HVAC or electrical system.
- Untimely Correspondence with Lender – A common mistake by first time homebuyers in Bluffton, SC is that they fail to check their e-mail or messages regularly. Since the mortgage process is very time sensitive, it is crucial to approach the approval process with urgency and promptly respond to critical loan documentation that your mortgage company has requested. Also, be on the lookout for correspondence from your real estate agent, appraiser, and inspector.
- Choosing Not to Work with a Buyer’s Agent – Some first time homebuyers think that they either don’t need or can’t afford a buyer’s agent when looking at homes for sale in Bluffton and homes for sale on Hilton Head Island. This is not true at all! There is no charge to work with a buyer’s agent, as the seller pays the commission on the sale of the home. In addition, purchasing contracts can be filled with legal jargon that is confusing. Choose a buyer’s agent that will work hard to show you the properties in your budget and desired areas to find your favorite homes for sale in Bluffton.
- Ignoring Loan Assistance Programs – Be sure to take advantage of the various loan programs for first-time buyers from federal, state and local resources, as there are some programs designed to develop certain rural areas. The HUD website can give you information on loan and grants offered, and veterans should also be aware of the VA program. Assistance ranges from down payment help to closing costs, if you qualify. Be sure to ask Your Bluffton Realtor for program information.
The Dufrene Group Can Help First time Homebuyers with Homes for Sale in Bluffton and Hilton Head Island
The Dufrene Group is here to help with any questions 1st time homebuyers may have about the Bluffton area, loan process, local housing market, or home loan programs that you may have. Feel free to contact the team here via email or at (843) 707-2267 today to get pre-approved for a home mortgage and start your search of Bluffton homes for sale.
September through November is a great time to be on Hilton Head Island and in Bluffton, SC. The weather is near perfect with daytime temperatures near 80 and temps that only dip into the 50’s at night. The mild fall and winter seasons are a few of the many reasons so many people look for homes for sale in Bluffton and homes for sale on Hilton Head Island. Many folks look for a Bluffton Realtor to show them vacation homes so that they can spend the colder seasons down South, to enjoy life with no snow shoveling, heavy coats, and freezing temperatures. Others ask their Realtor in Bluffton to show them homes on Hilton Head Island, so they can enjoy the beach and amazing weather of the SC coast all year long.
Fall is the perfect time to get out and enjoy the wonderful weather and fun-filled festivals in Hilton Head and Bluffton, like these popular Low Country events:
Fall Festivals on Hilton Head Island and Bluffton, SC
- Historic Bluffton Arts and Seafood Festival – October 13 thru Oct 21, 2018 – This popular festival is a week-long event offering a variety of activities, with locally harvested seafood, delicious Low Country cuisine, rich history, culture and art of the area and Southern hospitality found only in Bluffton, SC. Get more information here.
- Music & Taste on the Harbour at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina – September 20, 2018 (and more) – This exciting seasonal event returns this fall on Thursdays beginning September 6th through October 18th at Neptune Statue, combining the best local bands with delicious food and drinks. Now in its 10th season, this outdoor concert series will kick-off with The Headliners and will feature a variety of bands on Thursday nights. Get more information here.
- Hilton Head Island Concours d’Elegance & Motoring Festival – November 3, 2018 – Hilton Head Island’s own Concours d’Elegance & Motoring Festival offers the creme de la creme in automotive exhibition, racing, dining, and entertainment. Here the best, the brightest, and most passionate automotive and aeronautic dreams of yesterday, today, and tomorrow come true right before your eyes. Get more information and tickets here.
- Crescendo – September 27 thru November 4, 2018 – Crescendo, a regional event, organized in honor of October’s National Arts and Humanities month, highlights and showcases the vast array of arts, culture and history organizations, individual artists, performers, and authors residing and working in the Hilton Head/ Bluffton area. Join the celebration and honor the importance of arts and culture in America and our local community. Learn more here.
- Music to Your Mouth at Palmetto Bluff – November 15 thru November 18, 2018 – The 12th Annual Music to Your Mouth is a celebration of the best and the brightest of the South’s culinarians and the delectable cuisine of our region. Family recipes passed down from each generation, fresh produce from local farms and the creative masterminds behind it all converge for a multi-day event series that is a culmination of the finest in Southern food.Learn more and buy tickets here.
Want to be a Part of the Hilton Head Island and Bluffton Community?
We would love to have you join our community and enjoy Low Country living at its finest. If you would like to see homes for sale in Bluffton or homes for sale on Hilton Head Island, the Dufrene Group can show you the available properties in your desired community and price range. Our Bluffton Realtors are here to help and would love to show you around town. Contact us here to schedule a tour!
Some of the Best Golf Courses in the U.S. are Found in Our Own Backyard in Bluffton and Hilton Head Island, SC
Millions of people visit the Bluffton and Hilton Head Island, SC area each year. Some come to relax on our pristine beaches, others love the laid-back vibe and tons of family-friendly activities, and then there are the golfers! These folks know that some of the most beautiful and challenging golf courses in the world are hidden behind area plantation gates with breathtaking ocean views and unique Low Country Live Oak and blossoming magnolia tree-lined fairways.
In fact, it is because of these world-class golf courses that many people are interested in homes for sale in Bluffton and homes for sale on Hilton Head Island. There are so many golf-oriented communities in the Low Country area, that living on or near your favorite course is as easy as asking a Bluffton Realtor to show you the available properties in your price range! From beautiful condos on the Harbour Town Golf Links on Hilton Head Island to a sprawling home on the Colleton River Plantation Golf Course in Bluffton, our Realtor in Bluffton can show you exactly what you are looking for in a golf-oriented home. Check out some of the most popular golf courses in the Bluffton and Hilton Head Island area.
Best Golf Courses on Hilton Head Island and Bluffton, SC
- Harbour Town Golf Links at Sea Pines
- Golden Bear Golf Club
- George Fazio Golf Course
- Heron Point by Pete Dye at Sea Pines Resort
- Colleton River Plantation – Nicklaus Course
- Dolphin Head Golf Club
- Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course
- Arthur Hills Golf Course
- Oyster Reef Golf Club
- Shipyard Golf Club
If it is your dream to live on one of these beautiful golf courses in Hilton Head or Bluffton, SC, our team of experienced Realtors at the Dufrene Group in Bluffton is ready to help make your dream come true. Just give us the word and we can create a list of all the golf-oriented properties for sale in Bluffton and Hilton Head Island for you to visit. Simply let us know your favorite golf homes for sale in Hilton Head or Bluffton and we will take you on a tour of them! Contact us today to schedule your tour of golf course homes at 843/707-2267 or contact us here.
Labor Day Weekend is a great time to visit the SC Low Country. It’s the perfect time to take advantage of the wonderful things we all love about Hilton Head Island and Bluffton, SC. As an experienced Realtor in Bluffton, I see more and more visitors take the time to look at homes for sale in Bluffton and homes for sale on Hilton Head Island during their holiday visits, so they can spend more time in this amazing piece of paradise. If you’d like to call Hilton Head or Bluffton home, or are interested in a vacation or investment property here, we’d love to help you realize your dream!
Here are some of the fun filled Labor Day Weekend activities on Hilton Head Island and Bluffton:
Labor Day Events in Hilton Head and Bluffton
Gregg Russell Labor Day Concerts – Celebrating over 40 years in Harbour Town, Gregg Russell has become a Sea Pines classic! You’ll find him under the famed Liberty Oak in Harbour Town entertaining adults and children alike.
Summer Entertainment Center Stage at Coligny – Enjoy a variety of activities on Labor Day Weekend on Hilton Head Island. Fun for the whole family – magic with Gary Maurer, live local music, great food and beverages. More info here.
“Funny not Filthy” Magic and Comedy Show – Laugh with the family at the “Funny not Filthy” magic and comedy at the Comedy Magic Cabaret in South Island Square featuring headliner Kerry Pollock. Teens are welcome if accompanied by an adult. Get tickets here.
Reggae Festival on the Riva! in Bluffton- Fun filled Labor Day Weekend celebration on the May River in Bluffton. The Reggae Festival on the Riva! is Saturday, will be held on September 1, 2018 from 2pm -9pm. Celebrate Reggae in the Lowcountry with food vendors, live Reggae Bands, DJ, contests, kid activities. Plenty more! More info here.
Reggae Sunset Cruise – Spend Labor Day weekend on the water on the coast of beautiful Hilton Head SC. Join the fun on Sunday, September 2, 2018 for live Reggae music, Caribbean buffet, and more. Boat boards at 6pm. More info here. www.ReggaePonDeRiver.com
The Dufrene Group – Your Bluffton Realtor Team
The Dufrene Group can help with all your real estate needs. Whether you are a local to the area or are looking to invest in a home here, our team can help you find the home you are looking for! Visit www.thedufrenegroup.com for more info today!
Since it’s almost time for the local students in Beaufort County, SC to head back to school, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to brag about the amazing schools we have in Bluffton and Hilton Head Island, SC. As an experienced Realtor in Bluffton, one of the first things families looking for homes for sale in Bluffton ask me about are the schools their children will attend.
There are so many wonderful things about living in beautiful Bluffton, SC and coastal Hilton Head Island, and fortunately for us, the schools are on that list! During your home search, if you are considering homes for sale on Hilton head Island or homes for sale in Bluffton, you will be thrilled to know that we love our schools and the amazing teachers in our area and consider them among our greatest assets.
Those looking for homes for sale in Bluffton with school age children have the following public-school options as well as a variety of wonderful private school opportunities.
Bluffton Public Schools
Those looking for homes for sale on Hilton Head Island with school age children have the following public-school options as well as a variety of wonderful private school opportunities.
Hilton Head Island Public Schools
Bluffton and Hilton Head Island residents are also fortunate to have two available college campuses in our area. The University of SC Beaufort and The Technical College of the Low Country both have a convenient Bluffton/Hardeeville campus for those who have interest in college level courses.
The Dufrene Group – We Are Your Bluffton Realtor
Our amazing schools are just one of the many reasons people choose to look at homes for sale in Bluffton. Our wonderful community, great coastal lifestyle, and mild weather make living on the SC coast such a privilege! The Bluffton Realtor team at The Dufrene Group would love to show you the available homes for sale in Bluffton and Hilton Head Island and invite you to become part of our family-oriented community.
There are so many wonderful things about our quaint little town of Bluffton, SC. It’s no wonder people visit us and decide to look for homes for sale in Bluffton to call their own. From the beautiful May River sunsets, to the charming shops along Calhoun Street, there is magic in our tiny seaside community that draws folks from near and far and beckons for them to stay longer.
As a Realtor in Bluffton, I hear the stories time and again about how our little town stole the hearts of my clients. There are so many interesting tales and wonderful sites to see in Bluffton, SC, and today we are taking a look at a beautiful historic home that has deep roots in our community.
The Cole-Heyward House in Historic Bluffton
Built as a summer home for a local plantation owner, the Cole-Heyward House was built in 1841 and is one of only eight antebellum homes remaining today in Bluffton. Located near the May River, in the heart of Bluffton’s historic district, this Carolina Farmhouse style dates from the Colonial period up to the Civil War.
Designed by John J. Cole, the home first served as a retreat for him and his family to escape the SC heat, insects, and disease of the plantation, and was used for parties and socializing with other local planter families during the summer in the Low Country.
The Heyward House site, which includes the original slave cabin and summer kitchen, is actually named for the Heyward family who owned the home from the early 1880s until 1998. George Cuthbert Heyward, grandson of Thomas Heyward Jr., a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was the first Heyward to reside in the home.
Today, the house is well preserved and has not changed much structurally over the over the past 170 years. It currently serves as the Official Welcome Center for the Town of Bluffton, and features a museum depicting its history. It is also an official project of the “Save America’s Treasures Program”, a public-private partnership between the White House Millennium Council and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The Heyward House Museum and Welcome Center is now operated by the Bluffton Historical Preservation Society and can be toured and visited daily. Stop by to get acquainted with our town via maps, brochures, menus, and information to help you enjoy your visit to Bluffton. The friendly staff is available to answer any questions you may have and give you directions to your next place of interest in our town. Hours are Monday – Friday 10am-5pm and Saturday 10am-4pm. More info on tours here.
Make Bluffton Your Home
If our little town stole your heart, contact us at the Dufrene Group, and an experienced Bluffton Realtor can show you homes for sale in Bluffton to fit your style and price range. We would love to show you around our home town and we’d love even more to have you as a neighbor!